Friday, July 25, 2008

Jake

My father in law died on July 22, my birthday. There is some irony in that. My mother died on my ex's birthday. Anyway, Jake, my father in law, went out on his own terms. He wanted no medical intervention and to die at home. He died from sepsis due to an ulceration on his leg caused by poor, if any, circulation. As much as he could get you mad, you have to smile when you think of him. He was always teasing and he took it as well as he dished it out. I think "My Way" would be a good theme song for him. He did things his way, and did not tolerate any contradictions from his family. Stubborn old coot. As sad as not having him anymore can be, we just tell a story and laugh. His nickname, besides Jake, was Grumpy. And he earned it. There was a sign above his bedroom door that said "Dont wake up grumpy, let him sleep". So, now he is sleeping and his family misses him. We will be having a celebration of his life in a couple of weeks. I am sure he will want to know who attends. Here's to you Jake. And I will never forget the anniversary of your death.

No comments: