Saturday, October 4, 2008

After Surgery - Day 2

Thursday morning started with Mike, the CCAC nursing student, coming in as the day before. He got me up for breakfast and bathing. He roamed all over the hospital looking for a gown that would fit me. Mike asked if I had gotten up to walk and when I told him no one came to help me, he guaranteed me he would get me up today. About 10 am, he unplugged my IV pump, grabbed my cath bag and started to stroll me. I was moving pretty slowly, but moving. We did a lap around half the floor. He pointed out to me 2 very large men standing in the doorway of a patient's room. He told me they were cops and the person inside was a convict. During my afternoon walk, I asked him to take me past there so I could be nosey. Those guys were really big. The doc told me I would be released tomorrow, so I just resigned myself to relaxing and just getting through. Peg came in late again, after my dinner came and went so I wasnt able to eat again. She didnt stay very long, as I talked her into going home. She was pretty well worn out. I was just chilling and watching tv when my evening nurse brought me a bottle of magnesium citrate. This stuff is liquid dynamite. Usually with me it only takes about 2 hours to work. I really didnt want to take this at 8:30pm since I wanted to sleep that night, but I took it. I managed to get out of bed, unplug the IV and grab my cath bag. I sat in a chair outside the bathroom door and just waited it out. By midnite, nothing happened and I was bobbing my head like crazy. I got up and went to bed, and slept all night. Next morning, just after my coffee, success in the boom room. Now everyone was happy. It is amazing how the simple things like a good sleep, a nice pee or poop and all is well. I put my earplugs in and dozed all morning. Ate a sandwich for lunch and slept til about 3. Peg would be here by 4, or so, so I got up, put on my catheter leg bag for the first time, got dressed, packed and waited. She was right on time. I got home around 5:30. Peg had to go to the drug store so I just sat in my recliner. Big mistake. I couldnt get out of the chair. I had a bit to eat and about 6:30 went to bed for the night. I slept in the guest bedroom, where we had a waterproof mattress liner. Also, our bed is an old waterbed with a regular mattress, but with the siderails, I couldnt get out of that bed either. I was given Percocet for pain. I had better pain pills left from a foot injury, but stuck to the docs orders. My catheter bothered me constantly, but it diverted my attention from the pain of the incision.

No comments: