Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Road to Recovery

How is that for a title? Sounds like a 12 step program. Anyway, recovery is so gradual that it is pointless to try to list everything week by week. Since I am now allowed to drive, I wanted to get out for a bit just about every day. My doc told me that once the catheter came out, he didnt care if I played hockey. A typical day begins with me hitting the showers after Peg leaves for work. I put on a pot of coffee and read the paper. Not a bad life. Make a nice breakfast around 9am. I would try to get to a big box store such as Lowes, Home Depot, Costco, or Wal Mart to just get some walking in. Initially, I couldnt go very far or very long. And almost every day, that three pm nap had to happen. Within 2 weeks I was able to be out of the house for 2 or 3 hours without too much fatigue. Finally, on a beautiful fall Friday, I met my golf buddies Stevie, Bruce, Poke Chop, and Charlie for a couple of beers in New Castle. It was such great therapy to see the guys and get away for an afternoon. Peg worried about me holding up, but I did just fine. My buddy Stevie, who will never read this because a telephone is as technical as he gets, had a bout of bladder cancer a few years ago and he was a good sympathetic ear and consultant through this. I have been blessed with good friends, and my relationship with each of them has its own uniqueness. Stevie is just a character that gives me tons of laughs and golf tips. Bruce is the Mel Brooks of the bunch, always laughing and telling jokes. He keeps me well supplied with great email humor. Pork Chop was a Human Resource exec and we trade our management stories. Plus, he was a drummer, as I was. Pork Chop is a die hard Cleveland Browns fan so we have a lot of needling about them and the Steelers. He has a Browns helmet autographed by Jimmy Brown. I have to tip my hat to that one. If there ever was a Cleveland player I admired, it was Jimmy Brown. Charlie and I are closer than the others. I have know him longer and he has introduced me to all the other guys. We both love golf, gin and our wives. We usually spend New Years Eve together, and take a summer vacation together. Charlie's wife Lynn made me a sunshine basket when I came home from the hospital. There were wrapped, numbered gifts in the basket that I was to open on the day indicated by the number. For example, day 1, was a pack of chicken soup. Each days gift had a great riddle attached. There was candy, DVD's, puzzles, books, and a bottle of wine. It was really great and lots of fun to look forward to every day.

My concerns now are centered on the incontinence and fatigue. I can walk a flight of steps and need to sit to catch my breath. The other problem isnt that bad, but more a constant worry. I cant go anywhere without making sure I find the closest bathroom. Peg and I went to dinner for the first time since surgery after church on a Saturday night. Pennsylvania just passed a smoking ban in public places, which by the way is so full of holes it is pointless. Anyway, I had to go to the mens room. I really need the stall to make sure there are no accidents. Wouldnt you know it, some jag off was in the stall smoking. I wanted to pee on his shoes, but I cant get a stream. Pennsylvania passes a smoking ban then has given out 3,000 plus exemptions in the 2 months since. Way to go. The tobacco lobbies must be writing checks at record speed. Not really wanting to get into politics, but this recuperation time afforded me a front row seat to the final 2 months of the presidential race, and the financial collapse of the world. Nothing like real tv to keep things lively. Only thing missing were congressional hearings.

No comments: